The GMAT quantitative section is seemingly the most challenging part for most of the exam aspirants. Many rumors surround the section like it is extremely tough, and no one can fetch the perfect marks there.
But it is not at all true. With the right understanding of the subject and ample preparation, you can certainly score good marks in the quant section. Apart from going for GMAT preparation online tests, you can follow the given tips to get the desired results.
Tips to prepare for the GMAT quant section
- Be clear about the fundamentals – This is one of the essential aspects of excelling in any subject, is mastering the fundamental concepts. If you know the basics, you will be able to answer any questions. Remember that calculator is not allowed during the examinations, and thus, you will have to get your basic calculation capabilities right.
- Stay confident – The quant section is designed in a way to look more challenging than it is. The complex and the intimidating look of the section can make you confused. You have to overcome that and start applying everything that you know to the question.
- Smart numbers – It is an excellent idea to plug-in smart numbers. If the question only consists of variables and not values, then assign a number to the variable to make the whole working process easier. Always opt for smart numbers like 1, -1, etc., if you do not have confines. It would make the overall question look manageable. Ensure to consider numbers that would make your calculation easier and not more complicated.
- Data sufficiency questions – This is one of the most critical parts of a GMAT quant section. It would help if you made individual statements first before diving in to answer the question. Do it step-by-step and work on understanding all the statements to understand their sufficiency. You can also memorize the five answer choices for your convenience. Remember the 12TEN mnemonic for your convenience.
- Identify the question type – You should be thorough with the types of questions in the quant section of the examination. It would include value questions and yes-or-no questions. Knowing the type of question would save your time, effort, and ability to answer everything more conveniently. In the value question, you will have to find a numeric value, whereas, in yes-or-no questions, you will have to decide whether the given statements are true or false.
- Practice, practice, and practice – There is no substitute for taking mock assessments throughout your preparation period. Don’t just appear for the mock tests, but treat them with the same importance as the real test. The mock exams online are a brilliant way to evaluate your own performance.
Tips for test day
- The quant section has questions related to graphs, charts, etc. Spend time reviewing them and interpret them correctly. Make sure to keep an eye on the smallest details like axis, measurement units, etc.
- Read the questions carefully multiple times. The papers are designed to confuse you, and you should be smart enough for that. Take your time, keep calm, and refrain from answering anything without reading the question at least two times.
- Using your rough sheet is essential to score well in your quant. Try to achieve accuracy in calculations there, so that if you make any mistakes, you can easily identify them.
- Trying a backward calculation can be an excellent way to solve a specific problem if you are unable to find the answer with standard calculations. One of the given options is, of course, correct, which means that the test has already provided you with it and now use it tactically to get the answer. However, it is a time-consuming process and not a fit method for solving all the questions. If you do so, you will not be able to complete the paper on time. However, a tip here is to start calculating from the number placed in the middle. GMAT list their options in ascending order. You would know whether you should opt for the lower or higher digits by starting from the middle.
All these tips might appear difficult to remember, but when you put them to practice, you will adopt them in no time. Remember, practice is the key when it comes to GMAT, especially the quant section. This section is designed to understand your ability to analyze data and draw results from there. It is more of an analytical part, and with these tips, you can surely crack it with confidence.